tirsdag 18. juni 2013

Positivity vs. Negativity

In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision. - Dalai Lama
 
As the header of this post states, I want to put some focus on the "easy" subject of positivity vs. negativity. By this, I mean the mindset during training and preparations for competitions.
 
How can you best train with a positive mind when everyone around you expects bigger and better things from you?
In my mind there is always expectations, but after the few years with a crashing reality check, I've learned that my expectations needs to be focused more and more on the positive aspects of training. By doing this, I've noticed that both me and Leija have more fun when we train and compete, since my focus is not too much on results, but I try to pick good things from each run.
 
What this has resulted in, is a "All Or Nothing"-attitude. When you have this kind of attitude, normally you are very seriously involved in the competition, but that can be quite dangerous because of the added stress and negativity that comes with disqualifying in runs. But then again, when you compete, shouldn't you go for the win every time?
 
High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation. - Charles Kettering
 
I believe whole heartedly that you can if you want to, but you need to be careful of the expectations from others. When things are going the correct way and the runs feel perfectly executed, or you have a super feeling that the things you wanted to complete is mastered, then it can be easy to raise your own expectations to match the accomplishment. However, even the positivity that comes from such an situation can easily be turned into frustration when the next run doesn't surpass the expectations you've put in yourself and your dog.
Because of this, I strive to make my own runs and my line of thought during a competition to focus more and more around the aspect of having fun during the runs and also enjoying a social and good time with alot of friends etc..
 
As long as I try my best to focus on the positive things with my training and competitions, I know that the results will follow sooner or later. The moment you start to go back during a competition to rectify the mistakes you've made, you set yourself and your dog up for failure (Please be aware that this is only if you compete with the "All or Nothing" attitude, in my eyes). But misunderstand me correctly, as I am not saying you should walk off the course in anger because you or the dog did a mistake. I'm saying if you go for it everytime, there shouldn't be the need to rectify mistakes or justify why something happened, because the moment you do, you accept the negative energy that is the result.
 
You will walk around and become more and more frustrated in why the handling failed or the dog failed something "he/she already knows".
 
So how can you claim to have a perfect run when there is mistakes in the handling or on the results board?
 
Because if you keep focusing on the positive things in a competition or during training, all that negative energy will dissipate into nothing, leaving you smiling over challenges you thought difficult.
 
Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results. - Willie Nelson
 
Sometimes the best thing to do when people ask you how you did, is to answer; I finished. I guarantee that they will look at you funny and ask a second time; "Yes, but how did the run go?". People that focus too much on results and don't open themselves up to a positive mindset no matter what happens, doesn't seem to grasp the notion that some people, myself included (the last year), is more than happy with just completing a course. Or even just getting the first nine obstacles clean.
 
 
But I guess you're now telling yourself; "Honestly, I am not like this." Well, if you are certain in your case, then there is no point in trying to change. But if you read this and think that sometimes there might be too much focus on results in your runs, take a minute next time you compete and picture your dogs energy when you are frustrated and stressful, then watch the dog when all you think about is to have fun and enjoy time with your dog. Personally it's like running with two different dogs, and I clearly see the path I want to take. I want the fun dog, instead of the submissive dog.
 
 
Sometimes I can be an AS***** myself after I've run a course, and I take serious self-critique for this every time. But that is just an evil circle, that goes over and over and over and over and over again..  When that happens, I normally need an hour or so to reset and get my head out of my a** and think positive again, getting the negative stuff replaced with the good things from a run.
 
Believe me, it's difficult. It's not a change that comes over-night, but once you start to go there, it becomes easier every time. And every time you do this, you will see the trust and energy of your dog increase many steps. Then again, for some of you, this might already be second nature. Please read the post about complacency then :)
 
But as I finish this post, I would like to ask whoever's taking the time to read this;
 
- What are your thoughts?
 
- Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts, and why?
 
- Did I hit a point with any of you?
 
Please remember that this is just personal opinion and people can have different opinions. We are not all alike, and lucky for us :)
 
Tommy & Leija


1 kommentar:

  1. Here at Teambigi (google that - I think our dogs are somehow not so distant relatives) we do not do any negative thinking. Fun is the name of the game. Analyse yourself sure to improve performance but remember the dog has NO IDEA what the human criteria for a successful agility run is. They are just trying to please you. If you concentrate on pleasing them by studying how to clarify your handling signals, it will be ALL GOOD

    SvarSlett